Anna, thank you for the thoughtful summary of some of the discussions taking 
place
here.

 In communities that are gathered around one topic or for one reason, it is a 
rare one that is able and willing to both sustain and support discussion in 
which one part of the community finds and wants to continue discovering each 
other in a new topic.  My experience is that the clash usually does come from 
the raising of larger political issues, and my experience is that censorship 
in the name of "inappropriate subject" usually "wins".  And usually that line 
is expressed by people feeling uncomfortable about the subject or having 
different views than those being expressed.  Rather than express their own 
view or decide to simply sit out that particular discussion (in our case its 
the simple act of deleting), the call is to isolate that subject - either to 
cut it out or "keep it away from me."

This has been so common in my life as a political person that its depressing. 
 I am quite sure that no one in this community garden chat desires to turn it 
into a whole other subject - nor was it turned into the whole other subject 
of war.  It is valuable and exciting to me to discover other aspects about 
people I have one kind of relationship with and I have been thrilled to have 
the conversation about the war with Iraq surface and happen.  It was valuable 
to my sense of surviving this horrifying period to have people, even in my 
community garden list serve, express their views and activities around this 
war and the mass protest against it.

I think we did, and I will continue to use the "subject" area when I want to 
address war or anothe subject.    Laurie T, Chicago  

Reply via email to