Hi Amanda!For information on bamboo that would be appropriate for your zone,
you might want to contact Deb Mille <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > from the Howell Nature
Center in western Michigan.  She and the folks from the Howell Nature Center
are working with Heifer International to construct an educational program
called the Global Village, modeled after the Global Village program that Heifer
runs at their three learning centers in Massachusetts, Arkansas, and
California.  They are constructing homes and gardens that represent different
regions of the world, and I know that Deb did considerable research a few years
ago on growing and using bamboo.  She likely would have some information to
share! Good luck!  heidi *~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*

Amanda Maria Edmonds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Anyone have bamboo advice?

I just checked the archives and not too much discussion of
bamboo-growing surfaced. I've been researching the types of bamboo suitable for
northern climates (southeast Michigan is where I am)-- found one genus,
Fargesia, that's a clumping type (as opposed to running) and tolerates pretty
cold winters. I've not grown any of this myself, though, and am debating what
to buy and where to buy it from... Everything I've read makes it seem as though
when you plant a clumping type, there's no concern about using a
rhizome-barrier of any sort. Anyone have experience in this? How much/how fast
hass anyone's
clumping bamboo spread? I've found a lot of web mail-order bamboo places, but
can't discern any better or worse sources-- I'd love anyone's recommendation as
to a good source, or for better or worse genera and species to try out! We've
got full sun, and decently-draining loamy-clay soil...

Amanda

Heidi Busse
Monitoring Coordinator, Farm Beginnings
Land Stewardship Project
www.landstewardshipproject.org

"Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I
have great faith in a seed.  Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am
prepared to expect wonders.”  Henry David Thoreau