Corrie and all,

I sent your inquiry off to Doug Foulk, who is one of the TC metro Regional Extension Educators(and a new community gardener at Dowling CG in Minneapolis--I've given him the membership pitch more than once, Adam).  Here is his reply:

>From: "Doug S. Foulk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>To: Diane Dodge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Coffee chaff
>Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 09:52:50 CDT
>
>Hi Diane,
>
>I'm aware of two studies involving coffee chaff, one at Oregon State and
>another in Hawaii! In both cases, coffee chaff proved highly beneficial as
>a mulch. In the Oregon State study, coffee chaff was used to mulch
>blueberries, while in the Hawaii study it was one component of a complex
>mulching system for large plantings of trees.
>
>A google search also reveals that a number of coffee companies offer chaff
>to gardeners, and the city of Seattle recommends its use. So I conclude
>that there's probably no reason not to try using it!
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>Doug S. Foulk, Ph.D.
>Regional Extension Educator, Horticulture
>University of Minnesota Extension Service, Ramsey County

Happy mulching,

Diane

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. ______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden