From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 1:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [cg] insurance

In no way or form should this message be considered legal advice, which can
only be given by a licensed practitioner in your area.

However...

Director's  & Officer's  Insurance?  Holy moly!

As a former corporate paralegal who was engaged in D & O Litigation on both
sides of the fence, I think that it would be overkill for a not-for-profit
community garden to engage in.

Generally D & O Insurance is for stockholder run companies that are in the
position to be sued for financial misdoings, toxic waste dumping and the
kinds of things that the folks who run Haliburton or a "Malefactor of Great
Wealth" should go to the slammer for.

Unless you have an atty who insists on it, which I doubt, garden insurance
protecting the usual mishaps that can happen in a not-for-profit garden
should be sufficent.

And a garden form signed by all gardeners and keyholders, with a "hold
harmless, at your own risk" phrase should cover you.

Litigious clients and their attorneys are like sharks - they can only feed
where there is food, so if there is a basic garden insurance policy that
should suffice - to give them a tasty D & O policy to feed on is being far
too nice.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,