I am very grateful for the advice.  We had already planned to use  raised
'lasagna' beds anyhow.  At this point its a matter of trying to  figure out how
deep the lead is, whether or not the group can find the $  resources to remove
soil, whether or not to devote a couple of seasons to  remediating crops to be
tested and discarded, etc.  And taking care to  dispose of grass clippings
from the surrounding lot mowing.  We would  certainly not grow directly
'in-ground' as is.
Judy