Brian,

This is supplementary to Lenny Librizzi's post>

The Clinton Community Garden, founded in 1978 and transferred to parks in
1985, is located on West 48th street, between 9th & 10th Avenues in Hell's
Kitchen. It is smack dab in the center of the Special Clinton District. The
garden, whose site was originally a rubble filled lot/dumping ground for
rusted cars and the odd gangland hit ( read "The Westies" by T. English.)

Due to gentrification in the area, over the last 5 years, we now have some
high rent apartments in the 19th Century tenements that line 48th between
9th & 10th Avenues. Landlords have made contributions to the Clinton
Community Garden for "making it nice." Apartments with a view of the garden
rent pretty quickly and for a good buck. It's a miniature version of the
"park view" that real estate guys charge more for around Olmstead & Vaux
designed Central Park (think Prospect Park in Brooklyn, Mt. Royal in
Montreal, etc.)

Urban Blocks with community gardens also tend to develop block associations,
clean up their tree pits and plant flower boxes, a kind of ripple effect.

Bottom line: It's nicer having trees, green and plantings in your window
instead of the gas works. And landlords can charge more for it, if they can.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org