-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of James Stewart
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 1:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [cg] City Repair? and Asheville

Hello folks,
James Stewart here.  I live about an hour west of Asheville in the small
town of Sylva, NC.  Thanks for the heads up on City Repair.
Asheville does have a community garden: the Pearson St. Garden, part of the
bountiful cities project.  Check it out if you are ever in the area.  Also,
Sylva has a community garden as well: ShareCroppers Organic Community
Garden.  It was only started last spring (a baby!) and for the sole purpose
of growing food for the 'food insecure' in our county.  It was quite a
success.  Everything, from land to seeds to tillers and hands, was donated.
I plan to carry it on, with some expansion and some changes, for as long as
I can.  Check out www.communitytable.org <http://www.communitytable.org>
for pictures of the garden opening and whatnot. Thanks.
Ok. Let me get on my soapbox of sorts.  All posts concerning the
'progressiveness' of A-ville are true.  But sometimes we can't see the
forest for the trees.  Western NC is a pretty spectacular area with even
more spectacular small progressive communities.  'My' town, Sylva, for
example, boasts many attractions that are not normally found in towns of
4,000 individuals: excellent vegetarian, ethnic, or eclectic restaurants,
good venues for live music, an organic grocery store, two health food
stores, wonderful book and music stores, a thriving tailgate market, more
bodywork therapists and yoga instructors than you can shake a stick at (yes,
I am southern), and (most importantly) an atmosphere where careful,
concerned, and vigorous debates are abundant and where all of our different
selves and forms of expression exists peacefully.  If it seems I am making
Sylva out to be something of a mountainous, fairytale land, that is not my
intention! . Rather, this post is just to say that Sylva and our other small
mountain towns of Waynesville, Bryson City, Franklin, Cashiers, Highlands,
etc. are like Asheville, but on a smaller scale and with more emphasis on
'community'.  Often, the little folks in the little towns are forgotten when
discussions of 'progressiveness' happen.  Sad.  We are often some of the
most progressive little pockets in our land.  Ok.  That's it.  I do
encourage you to visit A-ville, Sylva, or any other town in WNC.  We're
lovely folks out here. Heck, I'll be your tour guide if you come through
Sylva.  Take care all.
>From: "Sharon Gordon"
>Subject: RE: [cg] City Repair? and Asheville
>Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:36:39 -0500
>

> >Asheville, a small western
>Carolina city that nonetheless is biggest in the
>mountains, is a progressive enclave where all kinds of
>interesting things take root and grow. I'm not sure,
>though, what's currently happening there in terms of
>community gardening - there was an active program,
>MAGIC?, in the past. (yo, Asheville, if anybody's
>lurking on this list). Anyway, that progressive
>tradition may explain why City Repair is speaking
>there.
>
>I don't know about the regular community gardening in Asheville itself. I
>do know there is permaculture community gardening in the surrounding area
>http://www.permacultureactivist.net , http://www.earthaven.org .
>
>Asheville and several places in the surrounding area are also doing
>strawbale building and earth plasters as well as various local food
>initiatives including some really good bakeries, and local artisianal
>quality household items such as furniture, pottery, and textiles.
>
>If you go to the meeting Don mentioned, it's worth it to go early and visit
>the book and newstand on the same street and Malaprop's Bookstore/Cafe
>within a block or so and to have dinner at one of the nearby restaurants (a
>variety of non-chain restaurant choices).
>
>If you go during a warmer part of the year, Asheville also has a botanical
>garden.
>
>Sharon
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  _____

MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays! Snappier product search...
<http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUS/2737??PS=>