Adam Honigman

(http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/89202_compost01.shtml)

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
Tuesday, October 1, 2002

9/11 FLOWER VIGIL COMPOST ENRICHES NEW YORK GARDEN

By BILL THORNESS
Special to the Post-Intelligencer

NEW YORK -- Five wheelbarrows full of Seattle-made compost were lined up at
the entrance to Liberty Community Garden in lower Manhattan. It was the last

move for the compost in its cross-country mission to enrich a garden
decimated by the World Trade Center attack.

Nearly 100 people attended the garden rededication ceremony Saturday in
Battery Park City on the southwest tip of the island. Two Seattle City
Council members joined New York politicians and community garden leaders
from
both cities in a symbolic gesture of rebirth.

The presentation of one cubic yard -- about 1,400 pounds -- of Million
Flower
Compost was a key element of the garden rededication.

The compost was created from flowers contributed to the flower vigil at
Seattle Center after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Most of the 30
yards of compost went back to Seattle Center, where a small bag of it was
given along with a tulip bulb to 20,000 people at a remembrance this past
Sept. 11. Some also will be used on Seattle Center grounds, and at the
Interbay P-Patch.

Members of the Seattle contingent traveled to New York at their own cost or
with donated funds. The compost, created by hundreds of volunteers at
Interbay P-Patch, was transported using donations from Taylor Shellfish in
Shelton and United Parcel Service.

Seattle poet Ann Hursey and musician John Van Amerongen used their artistic
skills to share feelings about the event. Seven-year-old Mason Shigenaka,
whose father is a P-Patch gardener, brought poems about Liberty's rebirth
written by students at his Seattle school, John Stanford International.

"Compost is a metaphor for renewal, it's a metaphor for new life, and it's a

metaphor for restoration," Seattle City Council member Richard Conlin said.
"I think it's also a tribute to tenacity, and these gardens are a tribute to

the tenacity of the people of the Liberty Garden area. It shows people care
very much about having a garden."

"It's not just about gardens, not just about community. It's about the human

spirit," said Alan Gerson, New York City Council member from the First
District.

"Planting has been part and parcel of confidence in every human society that

it would persevere through good times and through bad times," Gerson said.
"This is a continuation of our rebirth."

Seattle City Council member Judy Nicastro, who grew up in New Jersey and
lived in Manhattan for five years, also attended the ceremony and was moved
by the Seattle gardeners' gesture. "That fact that Seattle is so intimately
sharing this compost went right to my heart," she said.

Gardeners who made the compost wanted to give some to New Yorkers as a
symbol
of solidarity.

"I can't imagine what people in this neighborhood went through. Even in
Seattle, we were emotionally drained," said Jon Rowley, who was Interbay
garden coordinator and a leader in the composting effort. "The day we made
the compost, we made a commitment to send it to a community garden in New
York City."

But, he said, "we had no clue there was a community garden only a
block-and-a-half from the World Trade Center."

Although the Battery Park gardens were knee-deep in debris and the
neighborhood was cordoned off after the 9/11 attacks, gardeners say they
believed they would return to grow again.

"I came out to look at my garden, and everything was coated with 3 to 4
inches of gray dust," recalls Mike McCormack, an attorney who lives and
works
within four blocks of the garden. "But there were two or three marigolds
coming up, and it looked like they were growing through the dust."

Returning only briefly to get belongings, it would be three weeks before he
would set foot in his garden. "We spent pretty much the whole winter
figuring
out how to get the gardens back."

The gardens were battered on all sides: In the north section, where 28
gardeners had plots, Environmental Protection Agency workers vacuumed up all

the plants along with the ash. During reconstruction efforts, a pedestrian
bridge over busy West Street was planned that would land right on the
garden.

The separate south section, home to 29 gardeners, was spared such
heavy-handed cleaning, said Tessa Huxley, executive director of the parks
agency. Staff gardeners from the Battery Park City Parks Conservancy saved
the plants by removing ash by hand a week after the attack, using shovels,
rakes and trowels. The soil was tested and found to be free of asbestos and
heavy metals, so the garden could be salvaged.

"The biggest problem we had with the dust was that it was very base -- it
had
a lot of Sheetrock, so lots of calcium," Huxley said. "We had to amend the
soil to make it more acidic."

For the first time, she said, the garden had to purchase compost. "We lost
all our abilities to make compost last fall, because all of our leaves were
covered in dust. So we appreciate very much this gift. It has such meaning
all of us here."

To accommodate the gardeners from the destroyed north section, new garden
plots were created in front of Liberty Court, a condominium building
adjoining the south section, but that ground wasn't suitable for gardening.

"After 9/11, they put a pyramid of destroyed cars up to the sixth or seventh

floor of this building, 50 to 60 feet high," said McCormack. The cars were
removed, then so was the soil on which they'd sat. The area was then
refilled
with clean soil and, yes, compost.

The common element in Liberty's rebirth holds a deep significance for local
gardener Miriam Kimmelman.

"I gardened with my husband, whose heart and soul was in compost," she said,

explaining that Richard Washburn, who died in May 2001, helped build
Liberty's compost bins. The couple was attracted to Battery Park City
because
of the presence of a community garden, and had gardened there for nine
years.

"The compost is really important to me because it was so important to my
husband," she said. "I want to commune with him, and am really happy to get
garden, and now to have real compost to work with.

"It's a healing experience to work in the garden."

=========

Photo:  Mason Shigenaka, 7, presents poems from his Seattle classmates to
Mike McCormack of Liberty Community Garden at a ceremony in Manhattan last
Saturday.

=========

Bill Thorness, a former Seattle Tilth board president, is a free-lance
writer
based in Greenwich, Conn. He can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ere's