When building raised beds, after assembly we coat them well with boiled linseed
oil 9cheaper by the gallon). Then, each spring and fall coat the outside of the
bed, just for extra protection. Just let the wood live as long as possible, and
compost it when it's done.

We assemble the beds with 4" corner braces (on the inside), so if one side
needs replacing before others, it can be done easily. Just scoop the soil out
of the corner of the bed and unscrew the braces, and put a new board in.

>From my totally unscientific opinion, I wouldn't suggest painting the beds.
>Paint will flake. Personally, I don't want paint flakes in my soil.

Happy gardening!

Paco John Verin
City Wide Coordinator - Philadelphia Green
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
100 North 20th Street, 5th floor
Philadelphia, PA  19103-1495
Phone: 215-988-8885; Fax 215-988-8810