I agree with Adam in respect to using prison population to compete with free
enterprise. This labor force should never be allowed to undermine the
struggle of those trying to scratch a living by operating a farm, a garden
or any other business.

Having said this, I do believe there is a viable use for these resources.
For example, our "beautification" Mayor utilizes local prisoners to conduct
such tasks as picking up litter, cleaning up local parks and other other
outside activities.  This is not a "chain gang" mandated program (Alabama
has discontinued gang chains) but rather on a volunteer basis.  Those who
qualify and wish to participate can reduce their sentences.  A typical
participant is one who has commited such crimes as writing bad checks, DUI,
etc. They are only allowed to work 4 hours a day.

In a few years (bye, bye corporate world) when I have some time, I would
like to work with the local jail and start a garden program which will be
totally operated by "Community Services" (thats their official name).  This
program would be an educational tool to introduce gardening.  75% of its
harvest would help feed the jail population and the remaining 25% would go
to the needy in our area.  All resources would be on a volunteer basis.

Jim Call, CASA Community Garden Volunteer Director
              www.casagarden.com