We solved a few mysteries of herb and vegetable names from 2004 and have a new
set of mysteries from 2005.

The Korean herb-vegetable that looked sort of like chrysanthemum when young
and called ssook turned out to be mugwort.

A large leafed vegetable plant turned out to be sesame leaf or green leafed
perilla.

Here are the new mysteries.  If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear
them!

1) Fruit-vegetable about the size of a cucumber but lighter green.  Wrinkled.
When over ripe it's an orange red.  Grown by Chinese gardeners.  Plant is a
vine and supported on fencing.

2) Berry grows on vine.  Ripe fruit is shiny black (or so dark purple it looks
black).  Fruit is round and about the size of a pencil eraser.  Grown by
Chinese gardeners.  Supported on a fence.  #1 and #2 are often grown on the
same fence.

3) Leaf called Gun-dae by Korean gardeners.  It looks sort of like an
irregularly shaped swiss chard leaf.  Eaten like cooked spinach.

4) Leaf called aahh-ooo (like oo in too) by Korean gardeners.  It looks like a
hibiscus leaf.  Leaves are individually picked with their stems.  Stems are
peeled before cooking and eating.  Leaves cooked and eaten like spinach.

5)  Leaf called loboda by Bosnian/Serbian gardeners.  It looks sort of like a
cross between sorrel and swiss chard, but gardeners distinguish between the
three of these.  Leaf is triangular and pointy, about 6 inches long.   It's
cooked and eaten like spinach.  It's an annual plant that's affected by frost.
Seeds(pods?) are roundish but have a cratered surface and are medium brown,
perhaps 1/8 or so in diameter.

6) I was asked for name and where to find plant or seeds by a Bosnian/Serbian
gardener for a plant described as
Leaves give the skin a bad rash
Leaf is rough or irritating
Leaves eaten like spinach and make very good soup and pie
Very healthy to eat
Tasty

My first thought was nettles.  Unfortunately I haven't seen any around the
garden to show what the plant looks like or to collect seeds from.

I considered that it might be rue, but with the way he describe it, it seems
less likely.  Plus the roughness of the leaves sounds more like nettles.  And
tasty rather than bitter sounds more like nettles.

Are there any other leafy greens that would fit this description?

If it's nettles does anyone have some extra seed from some especially tasty
nettles  that I could pass along to him?

And just as an interesting FYI.  One of our gardens has some honeysuckle on
the wild edges.  Chinese gardeners were busy collecting the blossoms to dry.
They said they use them in an antibiotic tea.  I knew lots of people liked
them fresh or to make syrup, but hadn't realized they could be used
medicinally.  So I looked them up in the Plants for a Future database and
discovered they have quite a few medicinal uses.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Lonicera+japonica

Sharon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]