I agree with Bill Hohauser - the population density of NYC, and the fact that
while we're no eviller than the general run of folks, a good eight foot high
fence has saved the Clinton Community Garden for its 5,000 plus keyholders,
given its public gardeners the understanding that the attractive vistas it
invests hundreds of hours in will not be trashed by some knucklehead.

Understand, please, that on our garden block there is Fountain House - the
world's first clubhouse for schizophrenics, Project Return, a residential home
for the homeless drug addicted and mentally ill, and a house for HIV positive
adolescents.  All three institutions are encouraged to have garden keys and
participate in garden activities.  Our lives are enriched by these
organizations
and the individuals that make them up.

But we need to keep the garden as a safe haven for everyone in the area -
just like a public library, a precious public space filled with treasures that
need nuture and careful stewardship.  The neighborhood deserves to have lady
slipper orchids to look at, but they don't need to be pilfered at night, the
benches trashed, the people's place disrespected.  I'm glad that other urban
community gardens are in a less feral environment - here a good fence, night
lock
and careful management is the key.

Best.
Adam Honigman