Message: 1
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 19:01:30 -0400
From: Amanda Maria Edmonds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [cg] canning salsa recipes!

Anyone have a favorite recipe for canning salsa that they can send
along?  Tomatoes and peppers are coming in strong here in Michigan...

Amanda
Hi Amanda and all,
This is from the University of Minnesota Extension Service--pretty basic instructions that you can "play" with, provided you use enough LIME rather than lemon juice--I'll comment further at the end of the recipe.              Diane

General Instructions

Quality: Select only disease-free, preferably vine-ripened, firm fruit for canning. Caution: Do not can tomatoes from dead or frost killed vines. These may result in an unsafe or low acidity. Green tomatoes are more acidic than ripened fruit and can be canned safely with any of the following recommendations.

Acidification: To ensure safe acidity of certain products, the addition of two tablespoons of bottled lemon juice or ½ teaspoon of citric acid per quart is indicated. For pints, use 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice or ¼ teaspoon citric acid. These can be added directly to the jars before filling with product. Add sugar to offset acid taste, if desired. Four tablespoons of a 5 percent acidity vinegar per quart may be used instead of lemon juice or citric acid. However, vinegar may cause undesirable flavor changes.

Chile Salsa (Hot Tomato-Pepper Sauce)

5 lbs. tomatoes
2 lbs. chile peppers
1 lb. onions
1 cup vinegar (5%) (Diane says: use lime juice, forget the salt and pepper, get some GARLIC in there--right, Doreen? Probably a whole head if you want, and don't forget the chopped cilantro, either[you can safely add a couple of cups of chopped cilantro)
3 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper

Yield: 6 to 8 pints

Caution: Wear rubber gloves while handling chiles or wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face.

Procedure: Wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split. Dip in cold water, slip off skins, and remove cores. Coarsely chop tomatoes and combine chopped onions, peppers, and remaining ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat to boil; and simmer 10 minutes. Fill jars, leaving a ½-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process.

Note: Reduce pepper amount only for milder salsa.

Recommended Processes
(Chile Salsa)
Boiling Water Bath
Pints 20 minutes

OK, so I put some of the instructions in the U of M recipe.  So sue me. Be sure you taste your salsa before you bottle it--you might want the salt, and you might want more lime juice and maybe some zest--more acid makes a safer product.  I hesitate to tell you not to cook it in the pan so long-I probably wouldn't, but if you're afraid of spoilage, follow the U of M instructions.

Happy Salsa!!                      Diane Dodge

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden