hi folks-

last week i asked for input on evaluating kids' programs.  several people asked
me to post the results.  here they are (as well as two attachments)

thank you to everyone who sent me their helpful insights!

megan

****
I know that the Food Project has a model for evaluation. You can visit them at
www.thefoodproject.org ...they actually have a really great program going that
I've looked at when setting up my own garden programs.

****

i do a school garden program with K-8 in NYC.  We use a simple half-page
evaluation at the beginning and end of the school year to assess what students'
progression.  We ask the following four questions:
1. List 3 things plants need to grow
2. List 2 things to do in the garden
3. What are the 4 parts of a plant?
4. What is your favorite plant?

They are pretty broad, open-ended questions with a variety of "right" answers.
This is partly to keep it from being too much of a "test" and partly because
answers give us an idea of what kids really paid attention to and were
interested in.

We aggregate the responses to the first three questions as % students who
accurately listed 3 things a plant needs to grow, % who accurately listed 2
things, % who accurately listed 1, and % 0 ¯ following the same pattern for the
next two questions.

Answers to the last question can be particularly interesting, because the range
of favorite plants grows so much from beginning of program to end.   It also
helps to give kids a sense that plants are something they have a relationship
to, especially at the time of the pre-test.

****

There is a magazine published called Gardening with Kids, 800-538-7476 or
http://store.kidsgardening.com.  The magazine is great and I got it for the
school to use.  www.kidsgardening.com/school/register.asp-- this is where
you can register your school garden.

****

Here are my pre- and post survery's that I admionister at my garden program at
a local women's shelter. The results that I find that are useful are the one's
where they don't eat fresh vegetables and then afterwards they do.  (documents
attached)

****

Megan Cain
Friends of Troy Gardens