From: Sharon Gordon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 6:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [cg] Saving ripening pumpkins

On another list I am on people have reported theft of ripening pumpkins
from
their community garden plots.  Others chimed in that they have reduced
the
loss of their pumkins by lightly covering them with straw and/or rhubarb
leaves with the object being to make the orange color nonvisable from
afar.

Another person mentioned that there is a group called  the Pumpkin
Liberation Army which may have been involved.
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_435348.html

There doesn't seem to be any sort of awareness that the pumpkins grown
for
halloween usually taste terrible.  In fact I have not yet been able to
convince(due to language issues we don't have enough words in common for
me
to convey the info about the differences in the two kinds of pumpkins)
some
of the new to the US gardeners at our local community garden that the US
has
pumpkins that taste really good.  They have tried growing and eating the
halloween sort.

Sharon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]