Cover all your standing water! That's the best solution.

Mosquito dunks are the next line of attack. You can also put a few drops of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap in the water barrels. The soap doesn't harm plants but it drowns the larvae. It wears out a day or two so it's not a long term solution.

Bats and birds and fish are fun solutions but not always dependable or effective. Mosquito fish will devour the larvae but if the barrel gets too warm the fish will expire. And people will probably end up watering their plants with fish by accident.

William Hohauser
President
Sixth Street and Avenue B Garden
Manhattan, NY