Don, as you, I am interested in finding out if there are any "successful"
gardening programs working with the homeless. I know there are many CGs (I'm
optimistic here) who donate their surplus harvest to food banks and
shelters. I'm not aware of one whose operation comes primarily from the
homeless... with it understood that a non-profit or some other entity
overseeing their efforts. I believe there was one such operation in
California that helped the homeless via gardening.

This is a link I found while cruising to a Homeless Project conducted by a
Jewish organization but its vague at best and looks like it never got off
the ground ...

http://www.hillel.org/Hillel/exchange.nsf/4631b84b253300e4852568da00675ff6/5
FBF0F751723C86185256958006578F0?OpenDocument

We do not have a big homeless populaton here in Huntsville as the big
(really big) cities.  We do have shelters for them and I inquired once about
the possibility of creating a garden for them at their premises if it could
be planted and maintained by the shelter's occupants.  I was told by a
person who works in the community with the homeless that it would not work
because it wouldn't be maintained properly.  I'm not an authoritarian on the
homeless so I have to rely on others experiences (for now).

Jim





-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Don Boekelheide
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 12:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [cg] Request for feedback - garden programs for homeless people


Hi, all,

Hope you are all doing well - we are hoping for rain
today, it has been very dry here (and warm).

Question: Is anyone on this list involved in a
community gardening program targeting homeless people?
Can you tell me where you are and how your program
works? Alternatively, does anyone know of any
community gardening or greening programs with a strong
element addressing the needs of homeless people?

Thanks!

Don Boekelheide
Urban Ministry Center
Charlotte, NC


______________________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find
out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org


To post an e-mail to the list:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:
https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 267.15.2/252 - Release Date: 2/6/2006

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 267.15.2/252 - Release Date: 2/6/2006


______________________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org


To post an e-mail to the list:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden

Reply via email to