Happy day for flower power generation
Can a hanging basket of flowers really transform a neighbourhood? One group of
Sheffield residents say a few flowers have helped them feel happier. Lucy
Ashton finds out how more

WHAT'S the key to creating community spirit?
On one Sheffield estate it seems it's a few pansies and a spattering of
geraniums..
Residents in Page Hall have made their neighbourhood a better place to live
simply by using hanging baskets and window boxes.
The flowers were originally intended to make Page Hall look prettier but
residents have discovered the boxes and baskets have had a dramatic effect on
the area.
As well as brightening up the streets, the flowers have brought the community
together and made everyone a better neighbour.
Ivor Wallace and Nikki Hibberd from Page Hall Community Association decided to
hand out the free plants to cheer up the local community.
Community spirit took a dip last year when Sheffield Council suggested
demolishing a number of homes. A lot of residents campaigned strongly against
the proposals and had a stressful time while their homes were under threat of
demolition.
After seeing residents' reaction, the council scrapped demolition plans but the
proposals had shaken the community.
Nikki and Ivor decided it wasn't just the neighbourhood which needed cheering
up, but also its residents.
"We had funding from the area panel and Green City Action to provide a window
boxes and hanging baskets so we advertised a planting day in May," said Nikki.
"People could either come down and plant their own basket or box or just come
and collect one which we had put together."
The event was a huge success. A hundred people went to the first day and 100
more put their names down for the next planting day.
"Green City Action provided the trays and we added the flowers and plants. We
even took baskets around to people and fitted them to their houses if they
couldn't do it themselves."
Ivor and Nikki were delighted to see a few colourful plants could make such a
difference to the community.
"It boosted the area," said Ivor. "It got people talking and turned the
neighbourhood into a community as people had a talking point.
"A lot of people went out in the evening to water the plants and got talking to
their neighbours who were also watering their plants. They might never have
spoken before but started talking over the plants.
"We also provided hanging baskets for a lot of shops and they had leaflets on
the counters to tell people about the community association."
At the second planting event in June even more people came along, including
local teenagers.
"It's been fantastic," said Nikki. "People are taking more pride in their
neighbourhood and are talking to each other. We have some new trees on the
streets so we planted some of the spare flowers around the tree pockets and
people have taken responsibility for going outside and watering them and
picking up rubbish."
Ivor added: "I went on holiday during the hottest day of the year and my
neighbour offered to water my plants so it's created so much community spirit.
"All the boxes were made locally so it's benefited the local community too."
Along with the free boxes and baskets, residents were also given lessons in
garden maintenance and
children from Owler Brook School helped to plant new trees.
The community association was so encouraged it organised a gardening
competition and Page Hall has been entered into Sheffield in Bloom and
Yorkshire in Bloom.
"We received an award from the Lord Mayor for doing a scheme which was extra
special," said Nikki. "She said we had a really good level of community spirit.
The community association has been running for less than six months so to have
been so successful so early on is a fantastic achievement.
"Everyone was chuffed to bits with the award and I was so proud. Everyone has
the feeling that we can do anything now."
Council chiefs say it's proof little things make a massive difference.
Coun Chris Weldon, cabinet member for safer neighbourhoods, said: "I hope local
people will support these projects and get involved with making Page Hall a
nicer environment to live in.
"Attractive gardens can make a huge difference to the appearance of the area
and encourage a sense of pride in the neighbourhood."
FACTFILE

The baskets and window boxes were funded by Sheffield Council's east
regeneration team and the local area panel.

The planting sessions were also helped by Green City Action, a non-profit
making community group that was set up in 1993.

It identified Pitsmoor and Firth Park as areas in need of environmental and
community help and formed Green City Action to encourage recycling, organic
gardening and other initiatives.

Green City Action runs a tool store, a seed exchange and a toy resource centre.

For more details email [EMAIL PROTECTED] or write to Green City Action,
Abbeyfield Park House, Abbeyfield Park Road, Sheffield S4 7AG.

Got an opinion? Click here
All on demand. Always Free.