Air quality I can't say but I do know that the community gardens in Manhattan attract all sorts of wildlife that normally stay away from urban areas. Our garden was surveyed for insect species and it was discovered that several varieties of wild bees had made their home in the garden. Our neighborhood has thriving communities of mockingbirds, nuthatches, catbirds, woodpeckers, wrens and other small birds that you would have never seen in a dense space like Manhattan only a decade ago. Some gardens with ponds have occasional heron visits which doesn't please them too much as the birds are looking for koi to eat.

William Hohauser
6th Street & Avenue B Garden