The City of Grand Rapids asked the Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems
Council to take over managing a fairly large community garden that
there were water supply problems with, now resolved. The only
disclaimer was we had to pay for our own insurance.

The Food Systems Council is sponsored by West Michigan Environmental
Action Council, and when our staff person checked on it he found out
that it was just a $150 rider on WMEAC's insurance.  We had a very
small unrestricted grant we could take that out of. Now, I imagine as
a large non-profit WMEAC has pretty good insurance already, but maybe
it would be a similar situation with the museum. If they wanted you to
come up with whatever the extra charge is, a tiny fund-raiser would do
it. How small the charge is might depend on what city you're in, or
other circumstances, but it would be worth checking out.

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council