In NYC, as many of our gardens were redeemed from rubble strewn lots, the
garden paths are made from brick, laid into a sand or gravel foundation.

If bricks are there, just for the asking, I can't think of a better, more
permanent garden path. Years back, the brickwork paths of the famous and  bulld
ozed Adam Purple's Garden of Eden , was exquisite -

A similar example of fancy brickwork and design makes up the paths of the
6BC  Botanic garden (between Avenues B & C on East 6th Street on  Manhattan's
Lower East side  This link will give you an idea of the  breathtaking beauty of
this garden - and incidentally, its brickwork:

_http://www.flickr.com/photos/goggla/sets/72057594133336313/_
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/goggla/sets/72057594133336313/)

Best regards,
Adam Honigman