Hi all,
As I am getting a survey ready to update our knowledge of community gardens in 
north America, but for now I have a question about the 1998 survey. I am 
preparing a presentation soon on community gardens. As Laura Lawson pointed out 
to me in a private conversation, there were numerous statistical errors in the 
1998 survey write-up as well as issues that make the survey hard to decipher. 
This is not to denigrate the good folks who wrote this up and did the survey. I 
am thankful that I have this data.

Examples: Spokane was listed has having 42 gardens, yet all but 2 of these were 
backyard gardens - not community garden. Also, there are 2 Cheshires in CT, 
Cheshire Town and Cheshire Village. The 1998 survey calculated its stats on the 
village, but according to the address given, it should have been the town (a 
population factor of ~4.5).

Now on to my question: Newark NJ is a major outlier with 42 gardens per 10,000 
people versus the next highest at 14 (Minneapolis) and then dropping again to 7 
for Philly and Trenton and then again for all the rest at 3.5 on down. I wonder 
whether the number of gardens given in Newark (1318) is for garden plots or 
gardens (the basis for this survey). The person who did the survey for Newark 
(IC Patel) apparently is no longer in that position.

Does anyone know how many gardens (not plots) were in Newark in 1998? Or at 
least a good estimate.
Steven
 

Steven M. Garrett
Doctoral Candidate, Geography 
Lecturer, Urban Studies
University of Washington Tacoma
       
---------------------------------
Catch up on fall's hot new shows on Yahoo! TV.  Watch previews, get listings, 
and more!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org/attachments/20071010/ff5bd5f7/attachment.html
 
_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org

Reply via email to