Hi, Folks! I agree with #4, but as someone who manages 4 mailing lists myself, I think it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to enforce the first 3 items on the list.
First off, community gardening, is by its nature, is inclusive and throws off many "trails" -- unfortunately, if you don't keep up on them (how to deal with local politics, how to care for your soil, how to encourage volunteers, how to keep yourself sane while doing all of the above), you're not going to have a community garden for very long. Personally, I found the "Book of 5 Rings" thread very informative and what I really needed to kick off another year of hard, political work to save the community garden I've been with for 17 years. It's the cheerful discussion and banter from THIS LIST where folks (hopefully?) understand what the heck I have been going through for the past 10 months and have another nasty, NASTY 12 months to go (where, as I have mentioned, my posts here ARE being monitored by Housing Authority of Chester County personnel - if you want to see the pdf from their lawyer, just e-mail me!) that have given me the strength to keep going -- and don't you think that's another reason why HACC tried to keep me from posting to this list? We need each other and we need to be able to discuss things as friends and colleagues -- and that means we share the factual stuff and that means that sometimes (as any psych textbook on friendship and community-building will state), we'll tease each other and engage in banter. Those are GOOD THINGS that build community and trust -- why the heck are they suddenly contrary to "list etiquette?" I'm thinking Amy got her own letter from the HACC lawyer. ;-) As a multi-list owner myself, I often remind people that the beauty of e-mail lists is that the DELETE Key is always with you -- if you don't want to read the conversation, just delete it. And if you think this list has THAT many posts that these restrictions are "necessary), I've got several gardening and dog-related Yahoo Groups that will quickly show you what "e-clutter" really is. Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden and Labyrinth A mission of St. John's United Church of Christ, 315 Gay Street, Phoenixville, PA 19460 _______________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: [email protected] To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org

