Since most evidence shows that property values go up in the presence
of community gardens I would put for the notion that the "values" the
neighbors are really worried about is the idea of community owned and
maintained property. Community gardens sometimes disturb the "value"
certain people place in the private property system of our society.
Communal property is a tough notion. Our previous mayor, Giuliani, had
a real problem with gardens mainly because he couldn't see beyond
private ownership, a community run garden of volunteers really
disturbed him.

William Hohauser
President
Sixth Street and Avenue B Garden, New York City
[EMAIL PROTECTED]