I like the idea of making suet cakes--but I take the easy way out instead (what a shock!) I only fill my feeders with fat from beef and pork; the first from trimmings that butchers save for me and the second from what I like to call our "hippie bacon"; really thick-sliced, uncured stuff from a nearby sustainable farm. I freeze it, let it half thaw and then trim off virtually all the fat and just cook up the lean.
   Almost guilt free! Chicken fat goes to the cats.

                       Hoppy Holidays!
                                                       ---McG
----- Original Message ----- From: "DAN-TAMMY BOWDEN" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2008 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Community_garden] Rendering Suet


Dorene,

I think I would experiment with mixing the bird fats, four-legged fats, flour, and birdseed. The two types of fat should mix well when hot, then when mixed into flour & seeds it would make a cake that should hold together well. And flour is relatively inexpensive, although I don't know the price of birdseed.

Dan


CREATION SPEAKS
Inviting man to the heart of God through the biblical mandate to care for creation
www.creationspeaks.org
----- Original Message ----- From: Alliums
 To: [email protected]
 Sent: Friday, December 26, 2008 10:29 AM
 Subject: [Community_garden] Rendering Suet


 Hi, Folks!



 No one else is talking, so I'm taking up space! :-)



 We decided to try Mike's advice on fruit tree bug control and are putting
suet feeders in our fruit trees to get them used to patrolling the trees and hopefully, in the Spring, eating those bugs. So far, the chickadees seem to
 really be enjoying it - I'm seeing more chickadees than I've ever seen at
 the community garden.



However, when I'm paying top prices for grass-fed, free-range local meat at
 the farmer's market, it seems a waste to go out there and buy suet blocks
 for the birds.  So, how do people render their own suet?



Right now, I'm skimming off the fat and then putting it in a pie pan in the
 oven whenever I'm cooking something to boil off the water (too cheap with
energy to boil the fat on it's own on the stovetop! ;-)) This seems to be
 working with four-legged meat products (lamb, beef, pork), but no so well
with poultry (chicken, turkey, etc). I can't get the poultry fat to render
 down such that it's not a thick liquid at room temperature.



Now, if I lived in a more reliably cold region, I'd just shove it into the
 suet feeder and let the cold weather keep it solid.  But here in
Southeastern PA, where it's 20 degrees one day and 50 the next, I'm afraid that I'll have chicken fat leaking out of the feeder and dripping onto the
 branches/ground which will probably attract rats, rather than chickadees.



 Any advice appreciated!



 Dorene



 Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

 St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden and Labyrinth



 A mission of

St. John's United Church of Christ, 315 Gay Street, Phoenixville, PA 19460



 -------------- next part --------------
 An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org/attachments/20081226/c52c10d7/attachment.html>
 _______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

 To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org/attachments/20081226/c19c6389/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org





_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org

Reply via email to