Setting up a non-profit corporation is a state function and generally not
difficult -- but beware of the annual reporting requirements.  Obtaining tax
exempt status (from the IRS) should not be taken as lightly as Doreen
suggests and may require as much as $500 and legal assistance -- again
beware of the annual filing.

For more information go to:

For more information about whether to incorporate as a non-profit
organization (a state function) or to get tax deductible charitable
(501(c)3) status (a federal IRS function), go to:

www.tgci.com/magazine/96summer/tobe1.asp
www.nolo.com/article.cfmˆ

There is additional information on the ACGA website

http://www.communitygarden.org/learn/starting-a-community-garden.php#conside
rations


Betsy Johnson
11 1/2 Greenwich Park
Boston, MA 02118
617-536-1711   [email protected]


------ Forwarded Message
From: Alliums <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:21:10 -0500
To: ACGA Listserv <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Community_garden] Starting up

Hi, Perry!

It's not that expensive to set up a 501c3 -- NOLO Publishing has a book that
will take you right through the process.  And the $50 you spent on the book
is deductible!

I did the Friends of Reservoir Dogs! Park 501c3 in about 6 weeks, at a cost
of about $150.

Make sure when land is "given" that deeds come with it -- cities are
notorious for taking the land back when the economy goes up -- most likely
to a developer "friend."  Do it right the first time and make sure the city
gives you a long-term lease -- protect the sweat equity of both yourself and
your volunteers.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator
St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden and Labyrinth

A mission of 
St. John's United Church of Christ, 315 Gay Street, Phoenixville, PA  19460


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
Green Power
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 5:37 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Community_garden] Starting up

Hi
I am starting a Community Garden or I should say Gardens. I am on the
Executive Board of Directors for the Habitat for Humanity of Brevard County,
Inc.. I have been pledged 6 lots unbuildable total .45 acres in a challenged
neighborhood at a cost of one thousand dollars total.

 
I have a realtor\investor who has pledged 1 1/4 acres for the garden use, if
all goes well he will make more land available.
 
I have spoken to many cities and as their budjets are getting itghter they
are more than willing to give use or possibly the deed to some parks that
are not to be developed or are not visited and are expensive to maintain.
 
I am just starting but I have many interested, but money is so tight I can't
even afford to incorporate so I can set up the 501c3.
 
I welcome any advice

Perry Roberts
321-729-8158 Home
321-298-3762 Mobile
888-259-6918 Fax
1769 Nanton St NW
Palm Bay Fl 32907
BeGreenForFree.org (Soon)
[email protected]
[email protected]



      
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communityga
rden.org/attachments/20090107/5c9a5fa4/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find
out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.commu
nitygarden.org



_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find
out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.commu
nitygarden.org


------ End of Forwarded Message



_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org

Reply via email to