I saw this process on a 6-part documentary called "Ecopolis" on the Science channel. In the film, they burned organic garbage which was much better I think than burning trees or food crops. It was wonderful in that the gas products were used to produce heat in buildings and the biochar then was used for crops. A net gain in energy and a way to use stuff that now goes to landfills. And it was the same australian company in the video.
Judy

----- Original Message ----- From: "kane" <kans...@bigpond.com>
To: <community_garden@list.communitygarden.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:22 PM
Subject: [Community_garden] BIOCHAR

Can we discuss the use of biochar in community gardens -
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=nzmpWR6JUZQ

Kane Wilkins

Strategy Team

Sustainable Communities

Telephone: 02 4441-2920

Email: strategyt...@sustainablecommunities.com.au

Web: www.sustainablecommunities.com.au

P Please consider the environment before printing this email P

SECURITY STATEMENT: The information contained in this electronic mail
message is privileged and confidential, and is intended only for the use of
the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of
this communication is strictly prohibited. Confidentiality and legal
privilege attached to this communication are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify the sender by reply transmission and delete the message
without copying or disclosing it. DISCLAIMER any views expressed in this
communication are those of the individual sender, except where the sender
specifically states them to be the views of Sustainable Communities. Except
as required by law, Sustainable Communities does not represent, warrant or
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained, nor
that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or
interference.