Hello Everyone,  Our local library is giving out grants of $1,000 to promote
literacy with community planning input. There is a little community garden
starting up in an area of town which has alot of immigrants who are not fluent
in either of our official languages. I thought that maybe we could apply for
this grant to do a receipe book and a garden Diary. Many immigrants complain
that they cannot find the veg that they are used to cooking with at the local
Safeway. Like any population, there are probably many good cooks, good
gardeners, good organizers etc. The language barrier may keep them from
participating fully in community life. Has anyone out there used community
gardens as venues for literacy projects? and inclusion of newcomers?   If so, I
would love to hear about it.  Thanks,  Karen