Hi, Folks!

Honigman's Law:  Community Gardening is 50% gardening and 100% politics.

As I've said before, you ignore this law to your peril.

Folks, the community garden I founded 19 years ago would be PAVED OVER by
the end of this year if it wasn't for the local politicians who stood up and
told developer after developer that the community garden -- and the entire
community garden, which includes the labyrinth -- must stay "as is, where
is."

Land use is power and politics is how power is used and implemented.  You
have to be "in the game" if you want power expended to the benefit of those
you serve -- otherwise, Power is going to run you over because only the
OTHER interests are heard and served.

Non-engagement directly leads to non-existence in community gardens.

As someone who has been in this game for many, many years and watched in
horror as Philadelphia Mayor Street wiped away DECADES of community garden
work, funding and good will in HOURS so that he could implement his (failed)
plan to attract developers by giving them large tracts of "open" land to
build houses, I tell you, if Michelle Obama is sending us signals by
praising community gardens so highly in public settings, that we, as ACGA
need to ACT on those signals, encourage her to join us and lay the
groundwork so that in 5 years or so, we can all talk about gardening and not
'a developer is trying to destroy our community garden -- what do we do?"

ACGA needs Michelle Obama.  We've been presented with an opportunity and we
need to grab it with both hands.

I'd really like to hear from Bobby Wilson, Bill Maynard, Betsy Johnson and
the other ACGA Board members on their next steps towards this goal.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of