I do understand your viewpoint.
However, from other entries on the list serv I see that the experience of some of the members points to a major importance of political connection and control over our gardens. If it is on gov. land, it is up for grabs by any politician who sees a way to gain them some kudos and political currency. If it is under a land trust and controlled by the gardeners themselves, and they have set up a corporation or such, then you are protected more. But someone can come along and change the coding, and whoosh, your agricultural land is now commercial. Poof goes the garden. So, political is important. But I would like to see more gardening discussions and data on it come in for those of our newer members who need help and support in their efforts to start or run CGs. Has anyone out there had experience setting up farmers markets for excess CG production?
Di
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah Fishburn" <sa...@sarahfishburn.com>
To: "K. Rashid Nuri" <ad...@trulylivingwell.com>
Cc: "Karen Jones" <k.jo...@uwinnipeg.ca>; <community_garden@list.communitygarden.org>
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Community_garden] Politicians and Gardens

I agree with Rashid, and with Jack Hale as well. . .and maybe given the opportunity, and actual knowledge, people in EVERY field would become interested in CG, which has to happen before active participation and advocacy. I'm an artist and a writer first, community gardening is high on my priority list, but I do feel assailed by the vitriol of which we seem to be hearing so much of in the past few days. Jeepers, as much as I want to be part of my neighborhood and our gardening set-up, maybe I SHOULD get off this list, on the other hand I so appreciate the actual gardening knowledge, though rarer of late. Sometimes it seems to me the most adamantly"apolitical" are actually quite the opposite. Everyone has to begin somewhere, and if a certain group is immediately judged and consequently shunned by "active insiders" because of their job classification, it will merely become one more once promising looking arena filed under "not viable". I am not saying any of this to cause more dissension, really more as an observation, and a hope that the list and group adopt a more inclusive approach.
sarah
http://www.sarahfishburn.com
http://www.sarahfishburn.etsy.com
http://www.cafepress.com/sarahfishburn