Good advice Ken.
Also, you might make sure the legume seeds are innoculated so they are sure to capture nitrogen in the roots.
Di
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Hargesheimer" <minifa...@gmail.com>
To: <giventr...@aol.com>
Cc: <community_garden@list.communitygarden.org>
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Community_garden] restoration

Tina,

I know this is very low-tech and against the typical mindset.  Do nothing
but plant green manure/cover crops.  Start with sudan grass in the summer
since it produces more tonnage per acre than any other crops. Use
legumes,too. Plant summer ones and winter ones.  Do not till it in.  Leave
on top of the soil.  I dare you to mark off a permanent bed 6' wide and as
many feet long as you wish.  Do the above to prove to yourself that it
works.

Ken H