ewww. sounds nasty.
a mixture of soil-free mix, compost and good garden soil would be fine for your mix (potatoes don't crave acidity, so don't overly trust your source for anything here), but why a trash can? You'd have to poke holes all through it and in the bottom, and it might be tough for the vines to get enough sun. Better to use a cage of animal fencing or a slatted compost bin--or almost anything else; and that's only if you HAVE to grow above ground..

                                                   ---Mike McG
----- Original Message ----- From: "Anna Breithaupt" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 2:57 PM
Subject: [Community_garden] Trash Can potatoes


Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of starting some trashcan potatoes with my kids. In the
instructions that I found it said to use acidic soil or to use soil and
add acidic material (leaves, peat, etc). I have several large bags of
potting soil that are left over from last year. Would it be ok to use
potting soil? Also, when should I begin this project? I live Central
Ohio, Zone 5b. Sorry if this question seems basic, but this is the first
season I am putting in a garden so everything will be a learning
experience for me and the kids.

Anna

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org/attachments/20090306/aabd42b9/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org





_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org

Reply via email to