Its all a plot to keep us from tending to community gardens.
    (Remember them?)
                                            ---McG

----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Cynthia Price 
  To: Mike McGrath 
  Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:43 PM
  Subject: Re: [Community_garden] About farm bills (HR 875 and HR 759)


  Privately, I'm almost thinking (and I have a few reasons) that HR 875 is the 
decoy. Fortunately, we're smarter than that. Though I haven't read 759 and 
don't know for sure.


  Sigh.


  On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Mike McGrath <[email protected]> wrote:

    well, maybe I read that too fast. Now somebody's saying, OK--we might have 
been wrong about the first one, but now its a different house on fire.
      That link didn't help me much. Don--you did a great job on the previous 
one; if you can send me a link to the text, I'll read this damn one too.
      But there better be something vile in it or I'll start being certain this 
is just Monsanto spinning our wheels!
                                                              ----Mike McG
    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike McGrath" <[email protected]>
    To: "Don Boekelheide" <[email protected]>; 
<[email protected]>
    Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:16 PM
    Subject: Re: [Community_garden] About farm bills (HR 875 and HR 759)




      Same thing I been saying. Thank you, David & Don. (Reading, kids--its the 
best!)
        I'm starting to wonder if the so-called grass roots opposition to this 
bill is actually a viral campaign by folks like Monsanto and lobbyists for 
Factory Farm concerns, who would have a REAL hard time dealing with the 
proposed regulations...
                                                    ---Mike McG

      ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Boekelheide" 
<[email protected]>
      To: <[email protected]>
      Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:37 PM
      Subject: [Community_garden] About farm bills (HR 875 and HR 759)




        This is from David Goforth, an NC Extension Agent and small farmer I 
have a great deal of respect for. Thought you all might like a look at his 
perspectives.

        What he says about HR 759 is alarming. Anyone know anything about it?

        Don Boekelheide
        Charlotte NC
        www.urbanministrycenter.org





        From David Goforth, NCSU Cooperative Extension:

        You may have seen numerous emails about current legislation
        concerning food safety.  Some claim that backyard gardens will be
        regulated or banned.  One even claimed we would face fines if we didn’t
        cut down any apple tree that might be growing in the backyard.   Others
        are worried about the impact on small farmers like the farmers we have 
in Cabarrus county.


        The two bills I have studied the closest are HR 875 and HR
        759, and a similar senate bill.   (I read the actual bill, not the
        hype.)    To me 875 doesn’t sound that unreasonable and if
        applied as written, shouldn’t be a problem for local growers. ( I
        understand this one isn’t getting much support.)   HR 759 could
        be a problem for anybody in agriculture and anybody who eats their 
products.


        You can find any actual legislation at the library of
        congress website http://thomas.loc.gov/

        Below is one take on some specific food safety
        issues.   (Original email was from Roland McReynolds with Carolina
        Farm Stewardship) Obviously there are some biases here.   I took the
        liberty of picking  a writer that matched my own biases, but I  hope
        you will think for yourself.   I just wanted you to understand some of
        the issues and not worry about some of the hype floating around the 
internet.

        * Scale-appropriate. Federal law should support
        producers at each level, not impose a one-size-fits-all approach that 
runs
        small farms and farmers markets out of business.

        * Risk-based. Measures to mitigate produce safety
        risk or to implement safety solutions must be based on actual risk 
assessments for different products and scales of farms, not assumptions based 
on an
        industrial food model.


        * Science-based.  Specific measures to mitigate
        produce safety risk or specific metrics included in produce safety 
solutions,
        must be based on sound science, specific to the growing conditions on
        individual farms. Funding research to develop a science-based approach 
to
        on-farm produce safety should be a priority

        * Provide tiered compliance alternatives. Compliance
        with produce safety measures should be tiered to reflect farm size, 
market
        served and risk, for instance, a 2-acre fruit and vegetable producer 
selling
        exclusively through farmers markets or CSAs within 50 miles of the farm 
vs. a
        several hundred acre producer shipping produce to multiple outlets in 
multiple
        states. A tiered compliance program would include training on on-farm 
produce
        safety for all producers, with larger producers choosing to comply with 
more
        rigorous certifications to meet buyer specifications, not 
federally-mandated
        standards.

        * Focused on education, not regulation. On-farm food
        safety should center around education and incentives rather than 
mandated regulations
        with punitive measures for non-compliance.


        <<<





        _______________________________________________
        The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of 
ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to 
find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

        To post an e-mail to the list:  
[email protected]

        To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: 
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org





      _______________________________________________
      The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of 
ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to 
find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

      To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

      To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: 
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org





    _______________________________________________
    The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of 
ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to 
find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

    To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

    To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org/attachments/20090319/cb6c3f7d/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org

Reply via email to