not that this is going to be any help to you, but it's raining outside
so I'm going with typing rather than mud-therapy.

first off, let me say that, as far as I'm concerned, Norfolk has one the
greatest arboretum/botanical gardens anywhere.  love the size of it, the
water features, the library upstairs in that roundish building.  cypress
knees and cardinal flowers.  it's fantastic.  you could always tell when
you were nearing the rose garden because you could smell the sevin
before you could see the roses (there's a berm around it).  I wish we
had an arboretum here (ours is a couple hours away in Athens).  I wish
we had water like that, too.  of course, being adjacent to the airport
is a little distracting.

second, back in the old days of community gardening, the "if you build
it they will come" model rarely proved successful.  but recently with
the local food movement even that approach has been working for a lot of
people.  you don't mention proximity to senior centers or senior towers
or other natural constituents, so is it safe to assume that you may be
in a low-density area?  your best shot at salvation may be one or two
really charismatic gardeners who attract a lot of their friends to the
garden.  maybe you should check the local Slow Food chapter, they may
have a receptive community for you, might organize local workdays for
that matter that would introduce the garden to a lot of locavore-ish
type people.

I'm just winging it.  you might also approach other community gardens
about marketing your garden to their waiting lists.

the worst case scenario would be that if a group of well meaning people
of one socio-economic strata built the garden in a neighborhood they
don't live in for the benefit of residents who may be experiencing a
different socio-economic life journey.  that could potentially
discourage participation.  if you don't fall into that category, you
will likely prevail and thrive.  sooner or later.  just hang in there.

and hold on a few minutes, somebody with a more thought-through answer
will probably post in a few minutes, then you can delete me.

-fgc
Atlanta, GA