Love the fence idea, do you mind if we borrow it!!!!!!!
On Feb 17, 2011, at 9:24 AM, Diann Dirks wrote:

Excellent advice Lori,
Diann Dirks
Auburn CG
----- Original Message ----- From: <l...@teamnhp.org>
To: "Bruce Ruch" <ruc...@yahoo.com>
Cc: <community_garden@list.communitygarden.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Community_garden] Starting a new garden

Hi Bruce,

Congrats on starting a community garden in your area! It sounds like it
will be a real asset, especially given the current circumstances.

When we started our community garden last year, we were concerned about the cost of putting up a fence for our 100 x 150' space. So we put our
heads together and came up with an idea that turned out to be really
successful.

We used metal t-posts and 16' x 50" hog panels for the fence (one t-post
every 8 feet.)  We went to local businesses (dentists, vets,
restaurants, churches, nurseries, credit unions, etc)and asked them to
sponsor 1 fence panel and 2 t-posts for $30.  We focused our
presentation on the health benefits our garden would bring to our
gardeners, and the general community.  The contributors received
acknowledgement of their support by having a Sponsor Plaque hung on
their panel, and they are also listed on our website.  Plaques were
pieces of recycled cedar fencing with their name painted on it, donated
and painted by volunteers.

We made up a "Help Fence Us In!" flier to give to the business so they
didn't have to make a decision on the spot (or if the decision maker
wasn't there at the time), and it had a section at the bottom to be cut off and mailed in with the donation, and also the name they would like on the Sponsor Plaque. I can email that flier to anyone if they want it
as an example.

It was much easier for us to ask for a $30 donation than for "hey, can you donate 500' of fencing to us" and most businesses can afford to give
$30 to a community cause.  Most really do want to help if they can.
Some surprised us by sponsoring 2 or 3 panels!  And even if you don't
get a donation now, they might think of you in the future and surprise
you with a gift card (that happened to us with Walmart) or some other
type of support.  Obviously, it can apply to other projects besides
fencing.

In summary, it worked really well for us to divide our expenses into
small, manageable dollar amounts and get small donations from lots of
places, instead of asking for large donations from just a few places.
This method might work well in your town, too. Be sure to acknowledge
their support in some way if you can, and don't forget to send them a
"Thank You" letter or card!

Good luck with your garden and keep us posted!

Lori Ferris
Garden Manager
Unity Park Community Garden
www.UnityParkCG.org

ps - I forgot to mentions that we had to put chicken wire around the
entire bottom of our fence to keep the bunnies out, but that expense was
added in to the $30 per sponsorship price.