From: community_garden-boun...@list.communitygarden.org
[community_garden-boun...@list.communitygarden.org] On Behalf Of Richard Menn
[rtm...@verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 6:41 PM
To: gardenapplese...@aol.com
Cc: community_garden@list.communitygarden.org
Subject: Re: [Community_garden] snails

Diann is right--as was Ken in his earlier post recommending the Dirt
Doctor's web site (the "slug and snail" entry from the archives does
list iron phosphate remedies in addition to "natural controls," although
it takes a little patience to find them): products like Sluggo and
Escar-Go--bite-size iron phosphate pellets in a yummy yeasty wrap--are
safe for the environment, safe around pets, death to snails and slugs,
and, by the way, a godsend to those of us who use low tunnels to grow
vegetables during the winter months and who can't, or don't, check our
beds regularly for signs of damage.

I enjoyed seeing this thread juxtaposed to Ken and Diann's comments
about sheet composting earlier today. Some of us in Zone 6B-going-on-7
who swear by the no-till approach can hear the slugs chuckling about how
cosy it is under that organic blanket, especially in cooler weather, and
therefore have even more reason to appreciate the availability of iron
phosphate pellets.