From: John Hintz <johnhi...@gmail.com>
Sender: community_garden-boun...@list.communitygarden.org
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 13:25:45
To: <community_garden@list.communitygarden.org>
Subject: [Community_garden] flooded community garden soil test

Greetings,

I live in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania and am on the board of our 2 acre
community garden. The garden is right in the floodplain of the Susquehanna
River and sat under Susquehanna River floodwater for a couple of days
during last September's record floods. I have called several soil labs, ag
extension offices, and soil conservation districts to ask what (if
anything) we should have the soil tested for. Several gardeners have
(reasonably) expressed concern that the river water in the Susquehanna is
very polluted, that there are several municipal water treatment plants
upstream from the garden that were flooded during this event, and a few are
even worried about possible contaminants from the fracking activity in the
area.

The only person we have talked to who have offered any advice suggests we
test for:

   - Heavy metals
   - PCBs
   - Salmonella
   - E coli
   - Clostridium pathogens

The nearby lab can do the first three, but had no experience with e coli or
clostridium tests (or requests for tests for those pathogens). So I guess
we will go ahead and get the soil tested for lead, arsenic, and mercury
(probably a good idea anyway since we don't know the history of the site
the garden is on) and PCBs and salmonella as well, and take it from there
depending on what results come in.

My questions for the list are: Does anyone out there have any advice as to
whether this is a good strategy? Are there other things we should be
testing for? Are there labs that will test for clostridium?

More generally, anyone else out there gardening in areas that were flooded?
If so, what, if anything, are you doing?

Thanks a bunch

John Hintz
Bloomsburg PA