Hi, fellow gardeners,

I've become mostly a lurker in recent years, but I'm still a community gardener 
(and growing for market too - a different experience, for sure).

I just wrote a Thanksgiving column, and a couple of my community garden friends 
suggested sending it out. One thing we do as community gardeners is stay open 
to inclusion. For us, an 'open door' (or would it be an 'open gate') is 
fundamental. We cultivate common ground. I've been noticing the notes about 
conflict, and for sure that is a reality in gardens, not just between different 
cultures in our gardens, but amongst people who are ethnically alike. I almost 
think that diversity helps avoid conflict!

It isn't just feel good stuff either. Democracy only works if we can manage 
conflict, which includes knowing how to compromise and even lose gracefully at 
times. Community gardens are deceptive, aren't they, since they are building 
abilities we all need to function successfully as a democratic nation.

Heavy stuff, but made easier by far when we share our harvests.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte NC

Here's the column:


http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/11/16/3667563/remember-the-farm-workers-serve.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org/attachments/20121119/8a5e6306/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org

Reply via email to