Pat,

I'm curious now.  With that many members you probably don't have monthly
meetings... or maybe you do?  What system do you use to decide on any
expenses?  Does the membership pay dues into a pool that everyone votes on
or is there a steering committee that handles member finances... or is it a
501c3 with staff that decides?  Most small gardens, and you are obviously
not a small garden club, would probably talk it through at an open meeting
and decide if there are funds for herculean efforts?

Is the garden set up with individual plots for individual growers or are
you using a collective growing strategy?  More of a CSA model with work
shares?  The latter scenario would make it easier to address pathogen
issues.

I've done organic certification three times.  Certification requires a
three year minimum crop rotation and by that I mean rotation of entire
families of plants, so, obviously, one plot that has tomatoes this year
would not have tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant or tomatillas in it
until 2019.  With individual plot growers that would be freakishly
unpopular but it would keep the garden healthy.  You probably mean organic
with a small o - no synthetic pesticides, that is.

I guess it comes down to bylaws, bylaws and bylaws.  I would like to hear
how you are structured.

-fgc

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Pat James <p...@growfoodnorthampton.com>
wrote:

> We know what to do about the various issues like blight. What I'm
> wondering is how large community gardens (especially large community
> organic gardens) have communicated with members about doing
> garden-wide treatments, how expenses were shared, etc.
>
> Pat James
> Community Garden Manager
> Grow Food Northampton
> Growfoodnorthampton.com
> 413.320.4799 X103
>
> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grow-Food-Northampton/106043966109540?fref=ts
> PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK.
> Grow Food Northampton's mission is to promote food security by
> advancing sustainable agriculture in the Northampton, Massachusetts
> area.
>

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Ray Schutte <rayschu...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> > Do some research, does the tomato blight in your area over winter as
> fungus
> > in the soil.   If not and if it is like the kind we have on the west
> coast
> > you can do a lot.
> >
> > 1.Remove all tomato plants from this past season should be removed from
> the
> > garden (fallen leaves, stems fruit everything) the virus over winters in
> > composting tomato plant material.
> >
> > 2.Remove any potato vines still hanging around and have everyone remove
> all
> > "free" potato sprouts next spring .  Potatoes carry the blight in there
> > tissue and it over winters and when the conditions are right blooms and
> > travels by air everywhere the breeze takes it.
> >
> > 3. Next spring rotate and mulch you tomatoes.  (the virus under the right
> > conditions will travel on water that splashes from the soil to the plant)
> >
> > 4. Provide good air flow around your plants.
> >

> > If you are unfortunate to have the type of tomato virus that lives in the
> > ground you have other challenges.
> >

> > Ray
> >
> > www.rayschutte.com

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this e-mail message is
legally privileged and confidential  information intended only for the use of
the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copy of this e-mail message and attachments is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please delete
it in its entirety.