On Friday, September 20, 2002, at 02:12  am, Marten van de Kraats
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Today I picked up the iomega floptical. It works exactly like it is
> supposed. It allows a plus to read and write high density floppies.
> Cool. It won't read and write mac formatted double density diskettes
> though. Big deal. The internal diskdrive and the normal external
> floppy will.
> I got the floptical in its original box with the original software
> diskette, iomega scsi cable and power supply.
> In combination with the accesspc or dosmounter control panel it also
> enables me to read and write dos formatted disks.
> Both the FAQ and LEM claim that the Applied Engeneering HD+ is the
> only floppy drive enabling the plus to read high density disks.. It's
> pretty obvious now this is not true.

The ability to read HD (1.4Mb) HFS floppy disks on a floptical drive has
long been FAQed in the Apple II world so I guess that the Mac FAQers
have committed an oversight. As you say, it is unsurprising that you are
unable to bot from a 1.4Mb floppy but have you tried booting from a 21Mb
floptical which is the "native" media for the drive?

Bob Brant's book about building your on Mac mentions two other 1.4Mb
drives, the Kennect Drive 2.4 and PLI TurboFloppy 1.4. Is the PLI drive
the device somebody mentioned in an earlier posting on the list? Has
anyone seen a Kennect Drive 2.4?

Phil
---
http://www.mandrake.demon.co.uk/Apple/