> I have tried to install a new OS on the HD. I also tried using disk
> tools to reformat the drive. The problem is that neither program can
> "see" the new HD, nor is there a HD icon on the desktop. It will boot
> fro a floppy however, and it shows all the ram etc. When I was in the
> computer, everything looked clean. I understand SCSI and termination,
> but I'm not sure how to check the termination resistors. The HD that's
> in it now is an apple drive. It's just a little larger and newer than
> the old one.
>
> I though that the original drive just got stuck as well, now I'm
> starting to wonder. Hopefully it's just something to do with the
> termination. So, how do I check the termination resistors?

Looking at the Apple Quantum 40 MB drive that I have here: near the
connector there are six jumper settings: SS, EP, WS, A2, A1 and A0. The
latter three are to select the SCSI ID, I have no jumpers on them so that
the harddisk is ID 0. I don't know what the others are, but I have a jumper
on EP and WS, and one of them activates the internal terminator so that it
works inside the SE/30.

I think the best thing you can do is lookup what jumper you should set to
enable termination; for both the Quantum 40 MB and the HP 4 GB I could find
a page on the internet explaining all the jumper settings.

After you have made sure that you have set the jumper settings correctly,
the drive should show up in Mount Everything, a little control panel that
you can find here:

http://www.overnet.de/hhp/mte/

You can also use this control panel to spin down the drive and to spin it up
again.

Daan.