>     I did what you recommended and received files that are IDENTICAL to what I
> first downloaded.  However, I now have two additional files in the download
> directory.  These additional files have the same file name but without
> '.sit.bin' at the end and are just about the right size to be disk image
> files.

Sounds like you have your browser set to automatically run helper apps on
downloading files. This is a bad idea from a security perspective, and also
for the point of view of software archeology... because by the time the
local version of stuffit has finished messing about with some download it's
too late to do anything about compatibility issues.