--- Sean Billings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just got hold of a 1GB SCSI Compaq Harddrive
> and thought I would see
> if I can get it to work, but I can't get MacEnvy or
> Lido to recognise it on
> the SCSI bus, is there anything I can try?
>
> Regards Sean.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are times when some drives just don't work with
your Macs if they don't have Apple ROMmed controller
cards.

I went thru three different maker's drives before I
found one that would work in my SE/30 and Quad 605s.

When using a drive formatter that seems to "see" most
drives, I pick APS, (now known as Charis Mac), and
FWB whose drivers conflict with any O.S. newer  than
7.6.1 or 8.

And the issue of placing "term" jumpers, wait, spin,
and ID jumpers is hard to wade thru unless there's a
website that shows you the way.

So get APS/Charis Mac, or FWB and try formatting the
drive. If you get a sense error or other odd report,
fix the jumpers and go it again. Or try another,
known-to-work drive.

Jeff G

Facere Compositio Ex Congeries