OK. I'm just confused then. If the mouse and pointer don't constitute user
interface then we have a semantics problem. What do you mean by "User
Interface"? You talk about the keyboard, but if there was ONE thing I always
thought the Mac did properly, it was to incorporate consistent keyboard
commands that worked intuitively in every application that followed Apple's
guidelines (after all they came built into the ROM toolbox) across the board
from 1984 on -- I am constantly amazed that key commands I use under System
1.0  work the same under OSX. For my money the Mac keyboard always traveled
first class. Windows on OTOH was always a confusing jumble of right and left
mouse clicks, CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, CMND, FUNCTION and letter key combos that
changed from application to application (and even WITHIN the application!).
That sounds more like 3rd class steerage treatment to me. And I never
accused you of saying it was desirable. But I am curious to know
specifically why you consider the Mac interface treats the keyboard less
than first-class compared to Windows 3.1, if no other differences.