Gary:

As you are entering a message, look carefully at the top of the box where Gmail lets you enter message text. There should be a small-font hyperlink option that saws "Send message in plain-text format" or something similar. Just click on it. You might have to first click the "More options" hyperlink to see that option, but I know it's there. If you can't find it in the top of the box, look at the bottom.

I use my Gmail account with the PowerMac lists, and I had to toggle this option initially to get it to work. Once you do it once, it should save your preference for all future messages. At least, it did for me.

-Nat