Thanks for all the info,

Seems weird that Apple haven't added this support to OS X. Or maybe they
think they have, but since it's so obscure it's just not been very well
tested. As it is I managed to get the Powerbook recovered by creating
some boot disks on a Powerbook 5300.

I'm interested in the Developer "Bless" feature though... Will have to
give that a try later on tonight.

One point though - has anyone had problems with floppy disk space and OS
X? When deleting files (either under 7.x or OS X) the floppy slowly runs
out of disk space. The deleted files can all be found in /.Trashes on
the floppy, and can be deleted using the UNIX rm command.

Last night when copying disk images to the Powerbook, I ended up having
to do the following:

1. Copy file to floppy on OS X
2. Copy file from floppy to Powerbook (System 7)
3. Delete file from floppy using Terminal on OS X

...and repeating for each cycle.