On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 19:31 +0000, Mike Dransfield wrote:
> David Reveman wrote:
> >
> > I see that you're using OpenGL geometry for drawing the guiding lines.
> > That's good enough for now but eventually I think we want the guiding
> > lines to match the final geometry rendered by cairo. This can easily be
> > done using glitz.
> >

> I havent seen much of glitz so far, it looks interesting.
> I actually quite liked the basic rendering lines, they are
> similar to how photoshop works/looks.

Yes, the basic rendering is perfectly fine for now. However, the reason
photoshop looks like that is likely because drawing high quality lines
in real time might have been too slow.

BTW, Xgl is completely layered on top of glitz and it's using pretty
much every piece of the glitz API.

> > I'm not sure. How advanced does the text need to be in the annotate
> > plugin? If the toy text API in cairo is good enough, then using it to
> > render text would be very easy.
>
> I wasn't too worried about the actual rendering
> I was thinking more about the user interface for
> it and how the user would interact with it. If I
> explain my eventual use for it then it might make
> things clearer.
>
> I would like to have a small app written in python/gtk
> which would be triggered with a keystroke.  The user
> would hit the keystroke and the application would be
> launched by the annotate plugin.

Yes, annotate plugin will just do the actual rendering of text into the
annotate layer. Any text editing should be done by an external app.

> It could then provide a basic palette and text entering
> functions (copy/paste, selecting font, style, color).  When
> it is activated it can  change the action for  annotate so
> the modifiers are removed, the user can then annotate
> whatever they like, without worrying about modifiers
> etc (an arrow tool will be provided which can be used
> to move/select windows).

Instead of changing modifiers for existing actions it might make more
sense for the annotate dialog to grab input devices and just use dbus to
have the annotate plugin do things.

> When they are finished they can click a button which
> would activate screenshot so that they can then take a
> screenshot.
>
> The screenshot plugin would then save the file and send
> a signal through dbus to the helper app.  This can then
> pick up the file and launch an email application or anything
> else which can handle the image (instant messenger/web
> forum etc etc).

hm, we should update the screenshot plugin so that it's possible to pass
a file name to the shot action. Scripts and other apps can then use it
to do an interactive screenshot and have it dumped to a specific file.

> The users will ask for these features, so I thought it was
> probably best to relinquish a lot of power and code over to
> a helper application early on.
>
> We can avoid most direct entering problems by creating
> a textbox tool which predefines the area, it would still
> involve a lot of work with buffers to be able to delete,
> copy/paste etc.  I assumed all of this would add to the
> bloat more than anything, I could be wrong though.

Yes, all this outside the plugin.

-David