On 1/14/07, Who <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

Here is a scenario:
I have two windows (A and B) and I want to drag a file from one to the other.

I focus window A, browse to the place that I want to drop the file and
then try and pick up the file from window B, window B gets focused
when I start to drag the icon

Is there any way to make Compiz only focus a window when I click it
but not when I click and drag an item on it? (Sometimes, for example,
Window B will cover up the thing I was trying to drop on window A)

A quick survey:
Windows: Doesn't change focus on drag
OSX: Doesn't change focus on drag
Linux w. Metacity: Does cause focus to change on dragging.

So I don't know whether the precedent is set by the other two OSs or
by metacity. If it is easy, and it isn't already possible then could
it be there as an option? :)

There's currently no way for the window manager (metacity or compiz or
any other) to know whether a click started a drag (or might start a
drag, to be more precise) or is some normal click.  Applications need
to provide a hint to the window manager for this.  There have been
various proposals on the wm-spec list for this (and kwin & qt
implemented a hack that the gtk+ devs objected to, IIRC) but we
haven't gotten around to finishing an alternative implementation.
It's actually not a lot of work, I've just been lacking the time to do
it.  I did have a working (but somewhat ugly) gtk+ patch for this and
it's filed somewhere in bugzilla so someone just needs to clean it up
and test it out.  If someone's interested, I can look up the bug
number...

Cheers,
Elijah