As posted few days ago by Vladimir, newer fglrx ATi proprietary drivers
supports the Composite extension (also if it provides buggy rendering
for some apps), that's why using the non-tftp rendering you could run
Compiz in fglrx drivers too without loading Xgl.

However the use-copy option makes compiz do some checks that the fglrx
drivers don't pass (I don't know why, since the required extensions are
available according to glxinfo), so Vladimir suggested me a workaround
to this, and I've applied in a similar way in the foollowing patch:
 compiz-force-fglrx-with-copy.patch - http://tinyurl.com/35gwjf

After applying this patch (that needs compiz-use-copy-rendering.patch
and maybe an ABIVERSION change) fglrx users could try Compiz in their
ATi cards using the "--force-fglrx" parameter.

I've tested it in my mobility 9700 and I've made some shots too:
http://tinyurl.com/2lvqmk

I don't think this is an usable way (yet?!) since composite extension by
ATi seems really buggy, however mostly works, so... Give a try!

PS: I could have done the same using an environment varialble touching
only screen.c maybe, but this way is better from the user point of view.

--
Treviño's Blog - Life and Linux
http://3v1n0.tuxfamily.org/blog/