<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Diogo Ferreira ha scritto:
On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 18:02 +0200, Treviño wrote:

Some weeks ago one of my friends asked me to port the "use-copy"
(non-tfp) beryl's feature to Compiz since he wasn't able to run compiz
(fusion) smoothly in his nvidia card with turbocache (these cards works
well only using Xgl, otherwise they are affected by the [in]famous
"Black Window Bug". That's obiouvsly an error that nVidia should fix,
but in the latest months nothing has changed!); then Vladimir posted in
this list asking the use-copy feature for using compiz in fglrx drivers
too, that's why I passed the latest night in porting the code to Compiz
and... All works well!

You can find the patch at:
 compiz-use-copy-rendering.patch - http://tinyurl.com/35rum3

This was dismissed as a driver workaround back when it was implemented
and if an inferior system is implemented the drivers will never get
fixed properly.

Fglrx drivers are far to be fixed... :(
Firstly they're not usable now (using this way there are many problems also if compiz basically works), then I don't think ATi is so interessed to these things since it's more than an year now that AiGLX specifications are out (really more the composite extension ones) and now we started to see the first move...
However I'm not so intrested on what ATi offers in their proprietary drivers, since I do really prefer using the free ones... My wish so is that AMD whould release specs instead of binaries...
If this is really needed I think the copy mode patches implemented as a
plugin by onestone are better because they avoid cluttering the core
with workarounds.

Of course... I think the same. I didn't know that code until Maniac linked me it... It's really better from a code and implementation point of view, and of course that is the code that should be merged, but from my point of view it's hard to maintain since it changes really many parts of the code... So that should be the choice, but only if merged upstream!
As in beryl now you'll have an "--use-copy" flag that you could use to
load compiz also if you don't have the texture-from-pixmaps support

I've tested this with nvidia and radeon (free drivers) and compiz works
correctly

I've not added an ABIVERSION change in patch, not to update the patch on
each compiz change, however as you'd know it's absolutely needed that
you recompile every plugin after applying this patch.

Actually this doesn't exactly change the ABI so plugins would work
without recompiling AFAIK.

Eh, that is what I thought, however without recompiling them all I got a segmentation fault, that's why I said that maybe should be changed...

--
Treviño's Blog - Life and Linux
http://3v1n0.tuxfamily.org/blog/